Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Trailers: The Amazing Spider-Man



First, the bad:

-It looks way too dark.
            Sure, Spider-Man has a dark side, but constant night scenes, a big ‘there’s a dark secret in your past,’ and a search for Peter’s missing, possibly sinister father? Doesn’t seem to me like that has any place in a Spider-Man movie, especially not one that’s apparently an origin story. It looks to me like they've dialed up the dark way too much.

-I HATE SPIDER-MAN’S NEW VOICE
            Andrew Garfield just sounds like a punk teenager when he ought to sound like a nerd. Toby Maguire wasn’t the perfect Peter/Spider-Man, but his voice was pretty much ideal: a kind of semi-dorky, semi-smart flavor which I don’t get from Garfield.

-“I created him”
            Yeah, I’m gonna have to wait to see how that plays out, but it doesn’t square with my image of either Spider-Man or the Lizard. Besides, is that the only reason Spider-Man has to stop the Lizard? Like, if Connors had just done it himself would he have just said ‘oh well, not my problem?’ which brings me to…

-Evil Curt Connors
            As far as I know, Connors was never evil in the comics, he just turned into the evil Lizard involuntarily. I don’t like the change: I think it robs the character of his bite (no pun intended…okay, pun somewhat intended) and turns him into just a second-rate Green Goblin or something.

-Silent webshooters
            Okay, so they’re going back to the mechanical web-shooters, no big. The trouble is, from the trailer, they sound way too quiet. The web shooters, to my mind, ought to have a very distinct sound to them, sort of signaling “Spider-Man’s here!” these just sort of click. Lame

Now the good:

-The action looks pretty good.
            I liked the brief shots of Spider-Man taking on a whole police force single-handedly, the Lizard beating him up, and so on.

-Quippage is promising.
            At one point a car jacker asks “Are you a cop?” to which Spider-Man responds in disbelief “You seriously think I’m a cop?” That’s good, that’s right, that’s Spider-Man.

-The Lizard looks cool.
            We only see glimpses, of course, but the Lizard has always been a cool bad guy and we’ve been waiting a long time to see him. From what we see, he looks about right.

Verdict:
-I still think they should have just stuck with the Sam Raimi series. Yeah, ‘3’ wasn’t as good as it could’ve been, but it wasn’t franchise-killingly bad. Rebooting it now just seems over indulgent. That said, this looks like it’ll have some good points, but ultimately not feel enough like a real ‘Spider-Man’ movie.  Not really looking forward to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment